YMCA North Tyneside was founded in 1879 and was originally known as The Borough of Tynemouth YMCA.
After an inaugural meeting on 7 June 1879 there followed weekly meetings in the Sons of Temperance Hall, Norfolk Street, North Shields.
The YMCA grew in popularity. Within a year larger premises were needed. Meetings were moved to 53 Tyne Street and in 1897 to 51 Camden Street. In 1920 the YMCA moved to a building in Bedford Street (which is still owned by the YMCA) where it remained until 1938. The present building is on Church Way in North Shields. Today we are known as YMCA North Tyneside.